When I (David) was working for Office Depot, I traveled often to Florida. While there over a weekend one time, I visited a quilt exhibit at the Morikami Museum at the Yamato Colony in Boca Raton. The Japanese quilts on exhibit there were among the most beautiful things I have ever seen and my strongest wish was to show them to Lydia. Months later, when Office Depot offered to move us to South Florida and flew her to Florida to house-hunt, I finally had the chance to get her to the museum. I think the most disappointed I have ever been was when we entered the museum to find a new exhibit on display and - no quilts.
Fast forward about 15 years. The La Conner Quilt Museum hosts a Japanese Quilt exhibit and we both wander the museum in awe and wonder at the magnificence and artistry of these quilts. Lydia becomes as much of a fan as I am.
The museum now hosts a Japanese Quilt Exhibit every other year and this was one of the years.
“All That Blooms” is an exhibit focusing on the quilt makers’ use of blossoms, flowers, plants and other nature to create quilts. Pieces include quilts by award-winning teacher, Sachiko Yoshida and her students.
It is impossible to overstate the brilliance of Yoshida. Her works are of a formidable artist in design, composition and execution. Hand cut, hand stitched and hand quilted - no machines used here. Since Japanese quilts are made using silk, not cotton, we were doubly amazed at the workmanship of these pieces.
The museum had "No Photos" signs all around so I didn't take any pictures...........
.....while anyone was looking.
These pathetic photographic attempts do not even begin to show the beauty of these works, but it's all I have folks.
On the third floor of the museum was a textile exhibit with old pieces from kimonos and such.
Hey Lucy!! Can you guess what this kimono is used for?
Well, let's read the sign......
Pretty cool, huh?
I'll bet you never guess what this is for!!
It's for the horse!!
It's an ornament used for festive occasions, such as a cattle fair or Shinto Shrine festivals.
The carp climbing up the sides are often used as a symbol of strength and bravery.
Bet you didn't know that! I didn't either.
When Nana and I saw these, we pictured two young ladies we know wearing them.
So that was our quilt adventure for yesterday.
Is that all we did?
Heck no - but you'll just have to wait for the next post.
No comments:
Post a Comment